Friday, November 16, 2012

Update to Batches 004 and 005

It has only been 3 days since I put together my first mead and first real cider and there are a few changes that I thought I would publish.  Mainly that the yeast never took off in my mead.  I was right and there was just too much sugar in there for the yeast to tolerate.  So, I bought another fermenter today along with some more powerful yeast (Lavlin EC-1118 Champagne yeast) and diluted it down.  I took the gravity from about 1.185 down to 1.140 added a little more nutrient, aerated again, and placed in two fermenters to start chugging away.  Since I didn't get a picture of the "finished" product on Wednesday I took a picture of the racking cane/tube as I was transferring it before it was diluted.

I also neglected to take a picture of the cider, which is fermenting away just fine.  Thought I would show off the beautiful color.  Can't wait to try these.


Already have next weeks brew planned out, along with the hops and yeast already purchased.  It's going to be big and its fun.  After that I will try something a little smaller, but for now, I need big beers to warm me up as it gets colder out.

Until next post,

No comments:

Post a Comment